Thursday, February 08, 2007

five-letter word for movie still

I have this thing where everything happens in twos. Yes, I know, it's supposed to be threes, but I don't have time to sit and around and wait for that third thing, because once that second thing happens, I get all excited and start thinking about coincidences.

I read the Book section of the NYTimes fairly regularly, and there are sometimes pieces on author geography: either this week or last week there was a piece on visiting Flannery O'Connor's Georgia. I have never read any Flannery O'Connor; although, admittedly, I have twice checked out her works only to have to pay late fees for the unread. Many people I know love her and so I was ecstatic to see an article: maybe I could get a taste of her! and then go actually read her! fabulous! brilliant!

Three paragraphs in I realized something would be ruined if I read this article before reading the short story in question. I turned away from the article in semi-self-disgust and went back to what I should have been doing--checking design proofs, a task which sucks out my soul and dries up my eyes to boot.

Today at work, during the Q & A game, someone asked me what was one thing I regretted in my life so far.

Tonight at home, I finally read Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man Is Hard to Find".

The universe might implode.

I ducked around the question, because I like to save my darkness for my solitary moments, only to read the line, "'She would of been a good woman if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life.'"

This is that stupid scenario, if you had one day to live what would you do?, sped up about 100 times and changed into, if you had five minutes to live what would you say?.

I guess the situations aren't exactly congruent, since you'd probably plead for your life, but what I'm interested in, I suppose, is the idea of regret versus its opposite. I cannot think of the antonym of regret for the life of me (coincidentally?) and hate to look it up.

Apparently, "contentment" works, after cheating and looking it up.

I think it's a harder question to ask of someone: what's one thing in your life so far with which you are content?

Isn't it a worse curse to satisfy easily?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home