Thursday, June 14, 2007

seashell curls

Sometimes I am struck by the beauty of things I take for granted. Like, the Smiths. They make me want to scrawl their lyrics all over the walls, my body, the ceiling, every single sheet of paper I can find. I want to drip candle wax onto the desk and carve their words into the cooling mass. What I love about this band is that their songs are very separate from themselves--I never think about them performing or singing or what it would be like to see them play. I've seen a lot of bands in my time, and I can't think of a more perfect band to never see. Something about the shadows my ceiling fan casts against the walls is more of an experience I'll ever need. The oddest thing about connecting so much and so dreadfully and for so many years with these songs is that if I ever go too deep into it, people question. Their lyrics are sad. Their sadness fills me up and takes away the self-importance of my own dull, selfish, everywoman sadness. But this sadness has been my closest companion since age fifteen. That's eight years of never letting me down. My oldest, dearest, most loyal friend. The friend who will never forget you.

I close my eyes, feel the weight of my being, the weight of my mind sinking me into the ground, and let the sound waves float me elsewhere.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

Dear Eekbeat, I contact you through your blog's comments section because I don't know any other way of reaching you. I tried to send e-mail to your man but the address I had is not a working one. Perhaps you will favor me with your knowledge of how to contact him -- you or he can reach me at gmail, under the name of Anacreon.

6:57 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

(And, and, now that I go back and look at the post to which I am "replying", I see that is is a lovely one. I myself have been spending some time lately trying to figure out what is in music that I like that makes me like it -- I was listening to "Cathedral" just now from Robyn Hitchcock's I Often Dream of Trains and the sensation I get at certain key points of the song is comparable to biting into a ripe peach. But Why?) -- anyways -- I'm off to watch some television with my wife.

7:02 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid said...

(Aw shit -- never mind my first comment -- I just realized I had gotten mixed up about which pseudonymous Unfoggedtarians go out with which other pseudonymous Unfoggedtarians. Yikes, sorry. My second comment stands though, that I liked your post.)

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home