Thursday, April 12, 2007

It's funny the times I lose my voice

In talking to a co-worker this afternoon about all things, I'm hit by a helpful comment: "You're normally so outspoken. I wouldn't think you'd act like that."

I am reminded by a quote that has haunted me for years: "She was not silent; she was unheard."

But there are times when I am silent. I'd like to think that I at least always speak up for my opinion, for the downtrodden, for the unconsidered perspective, for at the very least myself. Which leads me to ask:

Why don't we stick up for ourselves?

Why is agreement polite? Why is smiling and nodding top-notch? Is it residue from the olden days of quiet, supportive women? From silent children? From grinning and bearing it?

Or is it from fatigue? Anything in order to keep things peachy and sunny?

"You'd be so pretty if you would just smile."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home